Active Work Time: 45 minutes
Total Preparation Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg plus 1 yolk
2 1/4 cups flour
Nonstick vegetable spray
1. Beat butter, sugar and salt in bowl until smooth by hand or in food processor, about 3 minutes.
2. Add egg and yolk and mix until well-combined. Add flour and mix until evenly blended. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl several times.
3. Form dough into ball, flatten into disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
4. Spray 13-inch tart pan with removable bottom or 2 (8-inch) tart pans or pie tins with vegetable spray.
5. Roll out dough to at least 16 inches across for large tart. (For 2 standard pies or tarts, divide dough in half and roll dough 9 to 10 inches across and place in pan in same manner as for large tart.) Place dough in tart pan, and trim off excess, leaving 1/2 inch overhang. Fold overhang into side of tart pan so sides are double thick. Use scraps to make decorations for top. Bake decorations separately on baking sheet at 350 degrees 5 to 8 minutes.
6. Place lined tart pan in freezer while you make filling, or refrigerate at least 1 hour.
1 (15-ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Caramelized Pecans, optional
1. Cream pumpkin, condensed milk, cream cheese, eggs, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg by beating until mixture is smooth. Uncooked filling will have thick liquid texture.
2. Pour filling into chilled crust. Do not overfill.
3. Bake at 300 degrees until filling is puffed and firm to touch, 50 to 60 minutes. (If using 2 pie tins, cooking time will be about 10 minutes less.) Cool on rack.
4. When cool, remove cheesecake from pan and place on serving plate. (If using pie tins, do not remove.)
5. If desired, decorate with precooked crust cutouts and Caramelized Pecans. Decorate while still warm so decorations will adhere.
Each of 12 servings, without Caramelized Pecans: 516 calories; 614 mg sodium; 188 mg cholesterol; 34 grams fat; 44 grams carbohydrates; 11 grams protein; 0.64 gram fiber.
Servings: 1/2 cup pecans
Active Work Time: 10 minutes
Total Preparation Time: 25 minutes
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup pecan halves
1. Melt butter in small skillet over medium-high heat and add sugar and nuts. Stir constantly until sugar loses grainy appearance, about 5 minutes.
2. Pour nuts onto sheet of aluminum foil and let cool about 15 minutes. Store up to 2 days in airtight container.
Each tablespoon: 59 calories, 7 mg sodium, 2 mg cholesterol, 5 grams fat, 3 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram protein, 0.12 grams fiber.
Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times