3/4 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons maple sugar
1. Combine the heavy cream and creme fraiche in a large mixing bowl and beat until it starts to thicken and swell. Add the sugar and maple sugar and continue beating until stiff.
2. Spread in an even layer on top of the pumpkin custard and refrigerate.
Caramel pumpkin chiboust
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons water, divided
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons gelatin
3/4 cup plain canned pumpkin (no spices)
3 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
2. Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger in a mixing bowl. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, 1 tablespoon water, and the lemon juice and cook over high heat until the mixture turns caramel color, at about 335 degrees. This will take about 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Stir, then let it sit for 1 minute.
4. Remove the caramel from the stove and stir the brown sugar mixture into it. Add the softened gelatin and stir to dissolve. Whisk in the canned pumpkin and set aside.
5. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they foam. Add the cream of tartar and about 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat. Continue to beat, adding the remaining sugar in a slow, steady stream. Beat until the egg whites are stiff and shiny, about 2 minutes.
6. Lighten the warm pumpkin mixture by folding in one-third of the beaten egg whites using a balloon whisk. Pour the remaining egg whites over the top and carefully fold them into the pumpkin mixture using a rubber spatula. Fold in the whipped cream.
7. Carefully pour the chiboust mixture over the whipped cream layer and smooth the top. Refrigerate for 2 hours until set. This can be made a day in advance.
8. To serve, gently unmold the torte from the springform pan and set it on a plate. Garnish with additional whipped cream if desired.
Each of 10 servings: 459 calories; 5 grams protein; 48 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 28 grams fat; 16 grams saturated fat; 118 mg. cholesterol; 148 mg. sodium.