Bäco flatbreadTotal time: 1 hour, 10 minutes, plus rising time
Servings: Makes 10 flatbreads
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 1/2 teaspoons dried culinary lavender
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
6 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups flour
1. In a nonreactive bowl, mix the yogurt, lime juice, lavender, garlic and ginger. Season with one-half teaspoon salt, or to taste. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the yeast with 1 cup warm water and the sugar. Cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes, or until frothy. Separately, mix the olive oil with 3 tablespoons of the yogurt mixture.
3. Stir half of the flour into the yeast mixture, then add the yogurt mixture. Stir in the rest of the flour and the 1 teaspoon salt, and knead for 10 minutes, or until the dough is elastic. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, loosely cover and allow to rise in a warm area until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
4. Punch down the dough and knead for another 10 minutes. Divide the dough into 10 equal portions; roll out each into an oval a little over
8 inches long and 4 inches wide. If the dough contracts while rolling, let it rest while you roll out another piece, then come back to it (it will relax and roll more easily).
5. Heat a seasoned cast-iron griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat. Oil the surface lightly with canola oil and grill the dough, one or two pieces at a time, until each is puffed and golden-brown on the bottom, 30 seconds. Flip the bread over and grill the second side for 30 seconds, until golden-brown. The bread will be soft, not crispy. Keep warm until ready to serve. (You also can rewarm the bread in a 400-degree oven for 1 to 2 minutes.)
Each flatbread: 216 calories; 4 grams protein; 30 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 9 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 1 mg. cholesterol; 121 mg. sodium.