5 teaspoons olive oil
Grape seed oil
12 sardine fillets
1 cup lightly packed arugula
4 florets cauliflower, sliced lengthwise into very thin slivers
2 onion slices, sliced crosswise no thicker than 1/16 inch
2 tablespoons butter, sliced into 8 thin slices
1 teaspoon Espelette pepper
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoons coarse salt
Grated zest of 1 lime
1. Heat the oven to 250 degrees. Slice the baguette on the bias into 12 slices approximately one-half inch thick (try to make the slices the same length as the sardines). Place the slices on a baking sheet and toast until lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and lemon juice, whisking to emulsify. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
3. In a large sauté pan, add enough grape seed oil to come up the sides by 1 inch. Heat the oil until a thermometer inserted reads 250 degrees. Add the sardine fillets (in one layer, making sure each is completely covered by oil) and gently fry for 10 minutes, keeping the oil at a steady 250 degrees. Remove from heat and cool the sardines (in the oil) in a nonreactive container until ready to use. If not using immediately, the sardines will keep, refrigerated, for up to 3 days; allow to come to room temperature before using.
4. In a medium bowl, toss the arugula with just enough lemon oil to lightly coat.
5. Arrange the toasts on a work surface, and top each with 1 tablespoon of the tomato concasse and a few slices of cauliflower. Lightly brush the cauliflower with a little of the lemon oil then top each toast with one sardine fillet. Divide the arugula among the toasts, gently mounding it over the sardines, then top each toast with a couple rings of onion and one slice of butter. Finish each toast with a pinch each of Espelette powder, curry powder, sea salt and lime zest. Place 2 toasts on each of 4 plates and serve immediately.
Each of 4 servings: 533 calories; 22 grams protein; 37 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 33 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 57 mg. cholesterol; 1216 mg. sodium.
If you have an S.O.S. request, write to us at email@example.com