1/2 cup walnut pieces
3/4 cup golden raisins
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup bourbon, or orange juice
2 tablespoons melted butter (for brushing)
11- to 12-inch tart pan with removable base
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Core, halve and dice the unpeeled apples into one-fourth-inch pieces. Toss the apples into a bowl with lemon zest and juice. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Add the grapes, candied orange peel, walnuts and dark and golden raisins and stir until the fruits are evenly mixed. Stir in the brown sugar, then the bourbon or orange juice.
2. Brush the tart pan with melted butter. Sprinkle your countertop with flour and roll the large ball of pastry dough to a 13- to 14-inch round. Line the tart pan with the dough, leaving about 1-inch overlap of dough at the rim. Spoon the mincemeat filling into the shell and gently flatten the top with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Roll out remaining dough to fit the top of the pie, with about 1-inch overhang, and lift it onto the pie with the rolling pin to cover the mincemeat. Trim the edges of the dough with scissors and pinch with your fingertips to seal and make a fluted edge.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and salt to form a wash. Brush the surface of the pie with wash. With the tip of a knife, slash the dough in a decorative pattern so steam can escape. If you like, decorate the top with leaves made from dough trimmings, brushing them with glaze. Chill the pie thoroughly 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Heat the oven to 375 degrees, and put a baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven to heat. Brush the chilled pie again with glaze. Set the pie on the hot baking sheet and bake until browned and the pie starts shrinking from the side of the pan, 40 to 50 minutes. A skewer inserted in pie center should be very hot to the touch when withdrawn. (The pie can be baked a day ahead; wrap it tightly in foil and refrigerate.)
5. To reheat, place the pie in a 300-degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Let it cool slightly, then unmold onto a platter.
Each of 10 servings: 573 calories; 7 grams protein; 76 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 27 grams fat; 15 grams saturated fat; 106 mg. cholesterol; 323 mg. sodium.