Servings: 4 to 6
Note: Adapted from "Please to the Table" by Anya von Bremzen.
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 large potato
1 medium carrot
2/3 cup green peas
1 medium red apple, cored and cut into 1/2 -inch dice
1 large dill pickle, cut into 1/2 -inch dice
2 hard-cooked eggs, cut into 1/2 -inch dice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
Freshly ground white pepper to taste
Cherry or grape tomatoes for garnish
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Season the chicken with one-eighth teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper, or to taste. Place the chicken on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until cooked thoroughly (the flesh will be white and firm, and any juices will run clear), about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Dice the chicken into one-half-inch squares and set aside in a large bowl.
2. While the chicken is roasting, peel the potato and halve it lengthwise. Place the potato in a medium saucepan and fill with enough water to cover. Place the pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a strong simmer and cook just until a knife pierces easily, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain and allow to cool. Dice the potato into one-half-inch squares and set aside with the chicken.
3. Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Peel the carrot and cut it into one-half-inch squares. Blanch the carrot in the boiling water just until tender but still firm, about 2 minutes. Drain and place in an ice-water bath. Drain again and set aside with the chicken. In the same pan of boiling water, add the peas and blanch just a minute to bring out the color. Drain and place in an ice-water bath. Drain again and set aside with the chicken.
4. To the mixture of chicken, potato, carrots and peas, add the apple, pickle, eggs and dill. Mix the contents gently to combine.
5. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, lemon juice, vinegar and lemon zest. Pour over the chicken mixture and toss gently, being careful not to mash the ingredients. Season to taste with salt and white pepper, and serve at once or chill for no more than 4 hours. Serve garnished with cherry or grape tomatoes.
Each of 6 servings: 289 calories; 10 grams protein; 19 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 20 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 99 mg. cholesterol; 326 mg. sodium.