Fondue Savoyarde: The ultimate cheese lover's experience, this classic fondue combines no fewer than five kinds of cheese in the ultimate rich and creamy experience. Perfect for dipping baguettes, vegetables or anything else you might have in mind.
GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES WITH SWEET ONIONS
Total time: 45 minutes | Serves 6 to 8
1 loaf firm, fine-grained white bread, such as a Pullman loaf, unsliced
1 pound semisoft cheese, such as Brie, Taleggio or Teleme
1 (3/4-pound) sweet onion, sliced (2 cups sliced)
1 teaspoon Champagne vinegar
2 teaspoons minced parsley
1. Trim the crusts from the loaf of bread, leaving a solid, evenly shaped rectangle. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut the bread in lengthwise slices just as thin as you can, one-fourth- to one-half-inch thick. You should get 6 to 8 slices.
2. Trim the rinds from the cheese and cut it into thin slices. Cut the onion in half and then slice it as thinly as possible, using a mandoline or a very sharp chef's knife. Put the onion in a bowl and season it with vinegar, parsley and salt to taste.
3. Spread one-fourth to one-third of the cheese over 1 long slice of bread, being careful not to come too close to the edges -- you don't want it oozing into the pan when it melts. Scatter one-fourth to one-third of the onion over that. Cover with another slice of bread and press together firmly. Repeat with remaining bread, cheese and onions.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over low heat. Fry 1 sandwich at a time, gently but firmly pressing down with a spatula or a heavy pan. Cook about 5 to 6 minutes on the first side, about 4 on the second. Repeat with remaining sandwiches, adding more butter as necessary.
5. Neatly trim the edges of the cooked sandwiches with a serrated knife and then cut each sandwich into thin crosswise strips, about three-fourths-inch wide. Serve hot.
Each serving: 362 calories; 16 grams protein; 29 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 21 grams fat; 13 grams saturated fat; 68 mg. cholesterol; 607 mg. sodium.