The weather may have been a bit chilly lately, but you can warm up around the grill fixing these dinner ideas. Whether you try one or all of these dishes tonight, these recipes from our database are sure to help keep dinner planning -- and preparation -- simple.
Grilled romaine with walnuts, Parmesan and anchovy dressing: Grilled tender hearts of romaine are tossed with a fresh anchovy dressing, toasted walnuts and shaved Parmesan for a salad, or light dinner, that comes together in 30 minutes.
Green beans with pickled shallots: Green beans are quickly softened over the grill, the lightly charred beans dressed with olive oil, salt and tangy quick-pickled shallots. You can pickle the shallots ahead of time so they're ready to go when needed.
Cote de boeuf: A thick, 2-pound, bone-in rib steak, some coarse sea salt and pepper. It doesn't take much more to make a perfect main course. The steak grills up in minutes, but do remember to take it out of the fridge early enough (a couple of hours for a steak this size) to take off the chill before cooking. You can find the recipe below.
COTE DE BOEUF FOR TWO
Total time: About 15 minutes, plus 2 hours to bring the meat to room temperature and 10 minutes resting before slicing / Servings: 2
Note: Prime aged, bone-in rib steaks can be found at Bristol Farms, Gelson's and fine butcher shops. Call ahead to ensure the steaks are available.
1 2-pound prime aged rib steak with the bone in, about 2 inches thick
2 teaspoons coarse sea salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1. Bring the beef to room temperature.
2. Heat a grill or grill pan with deep ridges until very hot, then adjust heat to medium-high.
3. Season the meat well on both sides with salt and pepper.
4. Lay the meat onto the grill and cook 3 minutes. Turn diagonally to cross-hatch the grill marks and cook 3 minutes longer. Repeat the searing and cross-hatching on the second side. Continue cooking, turning the meat and draining off the excess fat if needed, until the center of the meat reaches an internal temperature of 110 degrees for medium rare. This should take just a few minutes more.
5. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes.
6. Carve the meat at the table: Slice the bone away from the steak, then slice the meat into one-half-inch strips perpendicular to the bone.
Each serving: 840 calories; 67 grams protein; 0 carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 61 grams fat; 25 grams saturated fat; 223 mg. cholesterol; 2,474 mg. sodium.