During the Super Bowl on Sunday, beer and yogurt commercials reigned supreme, while the normally memorable Doritos, M&Ms and soda commercials fell flat. Here's a rundown of the five most memorable commercials in no particular order. And if you're wondering where the Cheerios ad is on this list, we already mentioned how ridiculously cute it was here.
1. Newcastle: With its commercial "Behind the scenes of the mega huge football game ad Newcastle Brown Ale almost made," the brand makes an almost anti-Super Bowl statement with actress Anna Kendrick. Kendrick, who starred in "Pitch Perfect" and the "Twilight" movies, plays the perfect girl who almost starred in a Super Bowl commercial. She's bitter and self-absorbed, claims she's never tried the beer she's supposed to be promoting, and curses like a sailor. How this advertises the beer, we may never know, but it sure was entertaining to watch (above).
2. Budweiser (the one with the dog and the horse): Hands down, one of the cutest Super Bowl ads ever. An adorable puppy forms an unlikely bond with a horse and the rest is history. Cue the big sappy music and the tears -- and someone pass the box of tissues.
3. Budweiser (the one with the hero's welcome): Maybe Budweiser just wanted to make everyone cry this year. In another of its commercials, Army Lt. Chuck Nadd comes home from abroad to find a parade in his honor and an entire town to welcome him home. At the end, he hugs what looks to be his tearful mother. Didn't really make me want to reach for a beer, but I did need another tissue.
4. Dannon Oikos: This commercial was memorable, mostly because it made us cringe. It starts with John Stamos and an attractive woman playfully eating a cup of yogurt. She suggestively cleans it off of his upper lip, then he drops a dollop on his pants. Right before this yogurt commercial turns into an adult movie, there's a "Full House" reunion. The show's stars Bob Saget and Dave Coulier burst in and demand Stamos take his pants off before the yogurt stain sets in. Sexual innuendos and Bob Saget don't mix well.
5. Bud Light (up for whatever): We're throwing this commercial in the mix because we're still so confused. There's a hidden camera situation, a party bus, twins, actor Don Cheadle in an elevator with a llama, Arnold Schwarzenegger in shorts playing ping-pong and a One Republic concert. Oh, and plenty of Bud Light being passed around in between.
What was your favorite commercial? Let us know in the comments below.
Want more quirky food news? Follow me on Twitter: @Jenn_Harris_
Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times