Total time: 40 minutes, plus resting time for the batter
Servings: About 2 dozen (depending on the pan)
Note: Adapted from a family recipe. You'll need an aebleskiver pan to make this recipe.
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
3 eggs, separated, at room temperature
1 tablespoon butter, melted, plus more for buttering the pan
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Tart berry jam
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and sugar. Slowly drizzle the buttermilk into the mixture while whisking. Add the egg yolks and mix well to combine and form a batter. Whisk in the butter and vanilla extract, if using.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the batter.
3. Set the batter aside at room temperature for 15 minutes to rest.
4. Heat the aebleskiver pan over medium heat, then brush each mold lightly with melted butter. When the butter just begins to brown, pour the batter so each mold is filled almost to the rim. (Start with the middle mold as it receives the least amount of heat and remember the sequence in which you fill each mold in the pan, as the aebleskivers will need to be turned in that order.)
5. When a solid crust has formed on the bottom of each mold, reduce the heat slightly and use a skewer to loosen and turn each aebleskiver by one-third. As the crust continues to form, turn each by one-third again. Finally, turn each mold again so the entire crust is formed. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the interior of each aebleskiver is cooked through. A toothpick or skewer inserted should come out clean.
6. Use a skewer to remove the aebleskivers from the pan. Plate in arrangements of three; sprinkle with powdered sugar and top with tart berry jam. Serve immediately.
Each aebleskiver: 61 calories; 3 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 1 gram fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 29 mg. cholesterol; 83 mg. sodium.Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times