Total time: 1 hour, plus about 6 to 8 hours simmering and overnight chilling
Servings: 8 to 10 (makes 14 cups)
Note: You may substitute chicken legs, thighs and wings if you can't get backs and necks. It will make a lighter-bodied broth.
5 pounds chicken bones: backs, necks and wing tips
5 quarts cold water
2 onions, quartered
1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
1 cup coarsely chopped celery
1 bouquet garni (made of 1 bay leaf, 2 sprigs thyme and 5
sprigs flat leaf parsley tied in
2 green 7-inch long leek leaves)
1. Place the chicken bones in a stockpot and cover with the water. Slowly bring to a simmer, frequently skimming the scum that floats to the surface. When the stock is simmering, skim it again and then add the vegetables and bouquet garni.
2. Simmer for 4 to 6 hours, partially covered, skimming occasionally. Strain the stock through a fine strainer or chinois into a clean pot and then cool it in an ice bath until cool to touch. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove fat from the surface. Makes about 4 1/2 quarts.
4 quarts chicken stock
3 pounds chicken leg-thigh combos, skin and fat removed
1 herb sachet (made of 1 bay leaf, a clove, 1 whole peeled garlic clove, 2 sprigs fresh thyme, 3 sprigs flat leaf parsley and 4 whole black peppercorns tied in a piece of cheesecloth)
2 cups leeks, whites only, cleaned, julienned
1 cup carrots, peeled, julienned
1 cup celery, julienned
4 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1. Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a large stockpot. Stock should be gently agitated, not at a rolling boil.
2. Add the chicken and sachet to the stock, cover and gently simmer for 1 1/2 hours, skimming occasionally.
3. Remove the chicken to a colander to cool. Shred the chicken and discard the bones.
4. Add the vegetables to the stock and simmer until tender but not soft, about 10 to 15 minutes. Discard the sachet.
5. Return the chicken to the soup. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Each of 10 servings: 184 calories; 22 grams protein; 7 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 8 grams fat; 3 grams sat. fat; 64 mg. cholesterol; 999 mg. sodium.Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times