Total time: 45 minutes
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup white wine
5 to 6 cups hot chicken broth
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley, divided
1. Heat the butter and oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan until melted. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the rice and stir to coat it with the oil and butter. Add the salt and pepper and saute 1 minute.
3. Add the wine and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until the wine is absorbed, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add 1 cup hot broth and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the broth is almost absorbed. Continue adding broth a half-cup at a time, cooking and stirring until the rice is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Stir in the lemon peel, Parmesan and 1 tablespoon parsley.
6. Spoon the risotto into a bowl and sprinkle with the remaining parsley.
Each serving: 549 calories; 16 grams protein; 83 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 13 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 19 mg. cholesterol; 1,553 mg. sodium.