Total time: 20 minutes, plus several hours chilling and freezing time
Note: From Pazzo Gelato in Silver Lake. Vanilla paste and Madagascar Bourbon vanilla extract can be purchased at Surfas in Culver City, Sur La Table and Williams-Sonoma stores.
3 cups whole organic milk
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup vanilla paste
1 teaspoon Madagascar Bourbon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla paste, vanilla extract and one-half teaspoon cinnamon. Allow the mixture to cool, then cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
3. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker or gelato machine and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Place in a container and freeze. Makes 1 quart.
1 recipe cinnamon gelato
1 cup whole organic milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup fresh whipped cream for garnish
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon for garnish
1. Allow the gelato to sit out for about 10 minutes before scooping. Make the shakes in two batches. In a shake machine or blender, mix four (4-ounce) rounded scoops of gelato, one-half cup milk and one-quarter cup heavy cream. Blend until smooth. Pour into two glasses. Repeat.
2. Top each shake with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon.