Total time: 15 minutes plus wilting time for the vegetables and chilling time for the salad
Note: Adapted from Got Kosher? Provisions.
1 small red bell pepper
1 tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided, more to taste
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Stem the turnips, then peel their white outer skin, leaving as much of the purple skin attached as possible. Quarter the turnips lengthwise, then slice them lengthwise as thinly as possible, no thicker than one-eighth inch, preferably on a mandoline.
2. Stem and seed the bell pepper and slice similarly into very thin lengthwise strips.
3. In a large bowl, combine the turnip and pepper slices. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon salt over the slices and toss to completely combine. Set the mixture aside for at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour, until the slices are wilted.
4. Place the wiltedslices in a colander and run under cold water to remove all traces of salt. Drain and place in a medium bowl.
5. Stir in the lemon juice and remaining salt. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
Each serving: 13 calories; 0 protein; 3 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 0 fat; 0 cholesterol; 457 mg. sodium.Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times