Dear SOS: Recently, my husband, some friends and I were at Cafe del Rey in Marina del Rey for the restaurant's 20th anniversary party. Besides the delicious food, they served an amazing white sangria made with fresh peaches. Everyone enjoyed it so much, and I'd love to make it at home if they will share the recipe. It's the perfect refreshing drink.
Rancho Palos Verdes
Dear Susan: Fresh and bright with flavor, this smooth sangria combines a touch of vanilla with just a hint of heat, a very refreshing cure for a hot day! Enjoy!
Cafe del Rey's white hot peach sangria
Total time: 25 minutes, plus cooling and refrigerating time
Note: Adapted from Cafe del Rey in Marina del Rey.
White hot peach simple syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 vanilla bean, scraped and seeded
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, water, vanilla bean (seeds and pod) and red pepper flakes. Heat over medium heat, stirring gently, until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer. Set aside until cool, then refrigerate until needed. This makes about one-half cup syrup, slightly more than is needed for the remainder of the recipe. The syrup will keep for up to 2 weeks, covered and refrigerated.
White hot peach sangria and assembly
1 (750-milliliter) bottle dry white wine
2 tablespoons brandy
2 tablespoons peach schnapps
1/3 cup white hot peach simple syrup
3 white peaches, sliced, plus extra for garnishing the servings
1/2 orange, sliced into wheels
1/2 lime, sliced into wheels
1/2 lemon, sliced into wheels
Seeds from ¼ vanilla bean
1. In a large bowl, combine the wine, brandy, peach schnapps and white peach simple syrup. Stir in the peach, orange, lime and lemon slices. Stir in the seeds scraped from the vanilla bean, discarding the pod.
2. Cover and refrigerate for 48 hours.
3. To serve, fill a glass three-fourths full with sangria. Top off with soda water or lemon-lime flavored soda, depending on the sweetness desired. Serve immediately.
Each serving: 126 calories; 0 protein; 12 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 0 fat; 0 cholesterol; 10 grams sugar; 5 mg sodium.Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times