Total time: 30 minutes, plus 4 to 6 hours chilling time (or overnight)
Note: Use ripe strawberries that are deep red.
3 cups whole strawberries, stems removed
1 (5-ounce) package goat cheese
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
9-inch butter cookie crumb pie crust, chilled (see below)
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
1 cup sliced strawberries
1. Trim the stem ends of the berries so they will be the same height when placed in the bottom of the pie plate. Set aside.
2. Whip the goat cheese in a mixer or food processor until light. Remove to a bowl, add the milk and beat to blend. Add the tarragon and stir to mix.
3. Spread the cheese mixture evenly in the bottom of the pie crust. Arrange the whole berries, pointed side up, on the goat cheese, covering the entire surface of the pie. Set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, water and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then add the sliced strawberries and continue to cook until thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Pour the hot glaze-strawberry mixture over the whole strawberries. Refrigerate until the glaze sets, about 4 to 6 hours.
No-bake cookie crumb pie crust
Total time: 10 minutes
Servings: 8 (1 crust)
Note: To make the cookie crumbs, process cookies in a food processor or place in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.
1 1/2 cups almond biscotti, pecan shortbread or butter cookie crumbs
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1. Place the cookie crumbs in a small bowl. Add the sugar and melted butter and toss with a fork until blended. Pat the crumbs evenly onto the sides and bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Chill 30 minutes.
Each serving: 300 calories; 5 grams protein; 43 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 13 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 43 mg. cholesterol; 125 mg. sodium.