Total time: 40 minutes, plus 30 minutes chilling time
Sauce1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon oil
3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2cup sweet chile sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon minced green onion
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sauté the garlic and ginger in the oil, stirring every 30 seconds, until they start to color, about 2 minutes.
2. Add the soy sauce, chile sauce, sugar and green onion. Stir to mix and set aside.
Steak 1/4cup red wine vinegar
6 cloves garlic, minced, divided
1/2cup unsalted butter, divided, with
¼ cup melted, ¼ cup at room
1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak
1 sweet onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1. Combine vinegar, 4 minced cloves of the garlic and the melted butter in a flat dish and add the steak. Turn to coat well, then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the room-temperature butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it sizzles. Add the onion and the remaining 2 minced garlic cloves and sauté until soft, 2 or 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, vinegar and parsley and cook until the tomatoes are cooked through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set the tomato mixture aside.
3. Remove the steak from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Place on a charcoal or gas grill at medium-high heat and cook, turning once, until done to taste (4 to 5 minutes per side for rare). Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes.
Assembly4 soft dinner rolls or hamburger buns
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Position a rack 4 inches from the heating element of a broiler. Cut the rolls in half and place on a baking sheet, cut side up. Mix the garlic and butter and spread on the rolls, then put them under the broiler until golden brown, 1 or 2 minutes; watch that they do not burn.
2. To serve, place 2 roll halves side by side on each of 4 plates. Slice the steak and arrange on top of the rolls. Top with the tomato-onion mixture and serve the sauce on the side.
Each serving: 685 calories; 43 grams protein; 61 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 30 grams fat; 12 grams saturated fat; 122 mg. cholesterol; 1,937 mg. sodium.Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times