These are recommended sources for blueberries and closely related wild fruits. Unless otherwise specified, they sell fresh southern highbush blueberries. Seasons depend on nature and may change.
* Biotta Swiss organic wild bilberry juice, wine-like and intense. At Erewhon Natural Foods, 7660-B Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, and at some Whole Foods markets. $11 to $14.50 for 500 milliliters. www.biottainc.com.
* Blueberry Hill Farms (Rick and Jessie Shepherd). Northernmost blueberry farm in California, sells superb organic northern highbush blueberries at farm stand. Season: July 5 to Aug. 25. 3290 Kings Valley Road, Crescent City; (707) 464-4344.
* Clearwater Farms (David West). Wild huckleberries (primarily Vaccinium ovatum) from Northern California, August and September. Farmers markets: Wednesday: Santa Monica; Saturday: Santa Monica (Organic); Sunday: Hollywood.
* Forbidden Fruit Orchards (Sandra Newman). Organic blueberries and blueberry jam. Farmers markets: Saturday: Santa Monica (organic and Virginia Park); Sunday: Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Ojai. Also at Gelson's. www.forbiddenfruitorchards.com.
* Marthedal's Berry Farm (Jon and Eric Marthedal). Farm stand, through June 20. 8180 S. Orange Ave., Fresno; (559) 834-2844; marthedalfarms.com.
* Pudwill Berry Farm (Randy and Pyongyun Pudwill), Nipomo. Farmers markets: Wednesday: Santa Monica; Thursday: Thousand Oaks; Saturday: Santa Monica (organic and Virginia Park); Sunday: Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Studio City.
* Restoration Oaks Ranch (Rolland Jacks), Gaviota. Southern highbush and rabbiteye blueberries. U-pick, through mid-July. 1980 Highway 101 (5 miles south of Buellton); (805) 686-5718; www.restorationoaksranch.com.
* Sebastopol Berry Farm (Tarcicio and Sabina Vigil and family). Organic, northern and southern highbush, early June through mid-August. Farmers markets: Wednesday: Santa Rosa; Thursday: San Rafael; Saturday: Palo Alto, Santa Rosa; Sunday: San Rafael. Farm stand: 9201 Ross Station Road, Sebastopol, (707) 694-2301; sebastopolberryfarm.blogspot.com.
* 7th Heaven Organic (Chuck and Jennifer Lenet), Cayucos. Organic. Farmers markets: Thursday: Morro Bay; Saturday: San Luis Obispo; Monday: Baywood. Sometimes sells at Santa Monica on Wednesday. 7thheavenorganic.com.
* Temecula Berry Co. (Ray and Mike Graesser). U-pick, Thursday to Sunday; farm stand open seven days, through July 4. 39700 Cantrell Road, Temecula, (951) 225-5552; www.temeculaberryco.com.
* Two Peas in a Pod (Richard and Liz Sager; Lori Nichols Heal), Arroyo Grande. Farmers markets: Wednesday: Santa Monica; Saturday: Pasadena.
* Underwood Family Farms (Craig Underwood). Farmers markets: Wednesday: Ventura; Thursday: Thousand Oaks; Saturday: Calabasas, Camarillo, Moorpark, Newberry Park, Pasadena, Ventura; Sunday: Brentwood, Encino, Hancock Park, Hollywood, Pacific Palisades; Tuesday: Culver City. U-pick and farm stand through mid-July. 5696 Los Angeles Ave., Somis (805) 386-4660; www.underwoodfamilyfarms.com.
* Valdivia Farms (Francisco Valdivia), Carlsbad. Farmers markets: Wednesday: Santa Monica; Thursday: Costa Mesa, South Pasadena; Saturday: Corona del Mar, Irvine, Santa Monica (Virginia Park); Sunday: Encino, Hollywood, Laguna Niguel; Monday: West Hollywood; Tuesday: Culver City.
* Whitney Ranch (Ralph and Rachel Whitney), Carpinteria. Farmers markets: Wednesday: Santa Monica; Saturday: Torrance; Sunday: Santa Monica.Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times