Skip to content
Where to buy blueberries in California
These are recommended sources for blueberries and closely related wild fruits. Unless otherwise specified, they sell fresh southern highbush blueberries. Seasons depend on nature and may change.
* Biotta Swiss organic wild bilberry juice, wine-like and intense. At Erewhon Natural Foods, 7660-B Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, and at some Whole Foods markets. $11 to $14.50 for 500 milliliters. www.biottainc.com.
* Blueberry Hill Farms (Rick and Jessie Shepherd). Northernmost blueberry farm in California, sells superb organic northern highbush blueberries at farm stand. Season: July 5 to Aug. 25. 3290 Kings Valley Road, Crescent City; (707) 464-4344.
* Clearwater Farms (David West). Wild huckleberries (primarily Vaccinium ovatum) from Northern California, August and September. Farmers markets: Wednesday: Santa Monica; Saturday: Santa Monica (Organic); Sunday: Hollywood.
* Forbidden Fruit Orchards (Sandra Newman). Organic blueberries and blueberry jam. Farmers markets: Saturday: Santa Monica (organic and Virginia Park); Sunday: Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Ojai. Also at Gelson's. www.forbiddenfruitorchards.com.
* Marthedal's Berry Farm (Jon and Eric Marthedal). Farm stand, through June 20. 8180 S. Orange Ave., Fresno; (559) 834-2844; marthedalfarms.com.
* Pudwill Berry Farm (Randy and Pyongyun Pudwill), Nipomo. Farmers markets: Wednesday: Santa Monica; Thursday: Thousand Oaks; Saturday: Santa Monica (organic and Virginia Park); Sunday: Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Studio City.
* Restoration Oaks Ranch (Rolland Jacks), Gaviota. Southern highbush and rabbiteye blueberries. U-pick, through mid-July. 1980 Highway 101 (5 miles south of Buellton); (805) 686-5718; www.restorationoaksranch.com.
* Sebastopol Berry Farm (Tarcicio and Sabina Vigil and family). Organic, northern and southern highbush, early June through mid-August. Farmers markets: Wednesday: Santa Rosa; Thursday: San Rafael; Saturday: Palo Alto, Santa Rosa; Sunday: San Rafael. Farm stand: 9201 Ross Station Road, Sebastopol, (707) 694-2301; sebastopolberryfarm.blogspot.com.
* 7th Heaven Organic (Chuck and Jennifer Lenet), Cayucos. Organic. Farmers markets: Thursday: Morro Bay; Saturday: San Luis Obispo; Monday: Baywood. Sometimes sells at Santa Monica on Wednesday. 7thheavenorganic.com.
* Temecula Berry Co. (Ray and Mike Graesser). U-pick, Thursday to Sunday; farm stand open seven days, through July 4. 39700 Cantrell Road, Temecula, (951) 225-5552; www.temeculaberryco.com.
* Two Peas in a Pod (Richard and Liz Sager; Lori Nichols Heal), Arroyo Grande. Farmers markets: Wednesday: Santa Monica; Saturday: Pasadena.
* Underwood Family Farms (Craig Underwood). Farmers markets: Wednesday: Ventura; Thursday: Thousand Oaks; Saturday: Calabasas, Camarillo, Moorpark, Newberry Park, Pasadena, Ventura; Sunday: Brentwood, Encino, Hancock Park, Hollywood, Pacific Palisades; Tuesday: Culver City. U-pick and farm stand through mid-July. 5696 Los Angeles Ave., Somis (805) 386-4660; www.underwoodfamilyfarms.com.
* Valdivia Farms (Francisco Valdivia), Carlsbad. Farmers markets: Wednesday: Santa Monica; Thursday: Costa Mesa, South Pasadena; Saturday: Corona del Mar, Irvine, Santa Monica (Virginia Park); Sunday: Encino, Hollywood, Laguna Niguel; Monday: West Hollywood; Tuesday: Culver City.
* Whitney Ranch (Ralph and Rachel Whitney), Carpinteria. Farmers markets: Wednesday: Santa Monica; Saturday: Torrance; Sunday: Santa Monica.