Time for a golf quiz, with the Travelers Championship here. Eight correct answers equals an ace, seven for a birdie, six for a par, five for a bogey, four for a double bogey.
Any fewer than that, and throw your clubs into a nearby pond.
1. The event has had seven names in its history. Can you name all seven (just gave you a freebie in the first sentence)? And one was used from 1967 to '72, and again in 2003.
2. Who set the single-round tournament record in 1954?
3. How many times did Arnold Palmer win?
4. In which year did the purse hit the million-dollar mark?
5. The 1985 winner shot 72 in the first round, the highest start by a winner in tournament history. Who is he?
6. He finished third in 1954, cashed a check for $1,400, played 13 times between 1952 and 1979, never won and has state ties. Who is he?
7. The tournament was first played in 1952. Where?
8. Three share the record for most tournaments played, which is 25. Who are they?
Answers1. Travelers Championship, Buick Championship, Greater Hartford Open, Canon Greater Hartford Open, Canon Sammy Davis Jr. Greater Hartford Open, Sammy Davis Jr. Greater Hartford Open, Insurance City Open. Greater Hartford Open was used from 1967 to '72, and in 2003.
2. Tommy Bolt, with a 60.
3. Arnold Palmer won twice, in 1956 and 1960.
4. In 1989, the purse was $1 million, a jump from $700,000 in 1988.
5. Phil Blackmar.
6. Julius Boros.
7. The tournament was played at Wethersfield Country Club from 1952 to '83.
8. Mark Brooks, Brad Faxon and Mark Calcavecchia.Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times