HOW IT GOT ITS NAME: After its location in the southwestern corner of Fairfield,one of three towns, along with Weston and Norwalk, from which it was incorporated.
HISTORY: Settled in the mid-1600s when three farmers were given permission tosettle the area along the Saugutuck River which became known as Bankside. It wasincorporated as a town in 1835.
EARLY INDUSTRY: Due to its fertile soil and location, Westport became animportant agricultural and shipping center by the 1830s. The town's onion cropplayed an important role in the Civil War. The onions were shipped to Union troopswho ate them pickled to ward off scurvy.
PLAYHOUSE: The renowned Westport County Playhouse was established in 1930when theater producers Lawrence Langner and his wife, Armina Marshall, bought ared barn in an apple orchard on the outskirts of town. Productions at the playhousehave featured theater greats such as Tallulah Bankhead, Tyrone Power, Henry Fondaand Helen Hayes.
FAMOUS RESIDENTS: Among the town's notable residents over the years havebeen Paul Newman, his wife, Joanne Woodward; Rodney Dangerfield; Sandy Dennis;Marlo Thomas; Harry Reasoner; Amy Vanderbilt; Erica Jong; and Fala, the Scottishterrier that was a constant companion to President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Fala was a gift from town resident Mrs. Augustus G. Kellog.
SOURCES: The Hartford Courant, Connecticut Place Names, westporters.com; westportplayhouse.org; nps.gov, CT State Register and ManualCopyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times