In the midst of your foreclosure troubles, kindly people might appear -- at your doorstep, church or tennis club -- with a plan to make your troubles disappear. But it could be a scam.
Steer clear of anyone who:
* guarantees to stop the foreclosure process;
* collects upfront fees;
* asks to be paid by wire or cashier's check;
* instructs you not to contact your lender or lawyer;
* wants you to make mortgage payments directly to him or her;
* suggests you sign over or "share" your property deed or title;
* proposes a lease-and-buyback arrangement;
* offers to fill out paperwork for you; or
* pressures you to sign documents you don't understand.
Information: www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/credit.shtm. Click on "Mortgages/Real Estate," then "Foreclosure Rescue Scams."
Source: Federal Trade Commission