Fourteen of Doanh Nguyen's patients have died of
But he's not to blame for any of them, he said.
His practice in Orange County's Little Saigon caters to
"I cannot control that, so I don't allow myself to feel responsible," he said in an interview.
Nguyen said some patients fake pain and even injure themselves to ply him for prescriptions. Some come in for early refills — a sign they are taking too many pills, selling them on the street, or both.
"I can't last," said a woman with a weathered face and bad teeth, pleading for another prescription late one Friday afternoon. "I can't be like this until Monday."
The woman had caught Nguyen in a hallway of his office in Westminster, within earshot of Times reporters. Nguyen refused her request, saying he already had given her too many early refills.
But he doesn't always turn down such requests. The first time a patient asks for an early refill, he said, he writes the prescription — and charges "a fine." The second time, he said, he charges more.
After that, he said, they're out of luck.
Nguyen, 48, a native of Vietnam, earned a degree from USC's Keck School of Medicine. He is board-certified in
Most of his patients who fatally overdosed had a history of
Asked about his management of high-risk patients, Nguyen replied: "You can't hold their past against them and say, 'You're here because you are a drug addict ... and now that you have pain, you have to suck it up. You have to be in pain for the rest of your life.'"
He says his goal is to help those with chronic pain function better. If he sees signs they are abusing medications, he said, he reduces the dose or weans them altogether.
Theresa Jones went to Nguyen because of pain in her
Jones said she overdosed at least seven times in recent years, including twice in the weeks before her death. Jones said he brought the incidents to Nguyen's attention, but the doctor kept giving her prescriptions. Nguyen said Theresa could have lost consciousness because of her
Theresa died April 1, 2010, of an overdose of six drugs, including two prescribed by Nguyen, records show. She was 51. At least 10 different medications prescribed by Nguyen were found at the scene, coroner's records show.
Nguyen said it was frustrating that some patients don't heed his warnings or learn from their mistakes, even after surviving an overdose.
"They don't care," he said.
John Dimowo's father was a folk healer who treated people's ailments with herbs.
"There was no
As a result, Dimowo said, he developed a high tolerance for pain — something most Americans lack, in his opinion.
Today, he prescribes powerful medications to patients complaining of pain. A vanity plate on his BMW reads: "PAYN DOC." A sign in the lobby of his Anaheim clinic informs pain patients that they will be seen on a "cash only" basis.
Dimowo, 54, attended medical school in Nigeria. After practicing there for six years, he moved to the U.S. and was trained in anesthesiology and pain management. He is board-certified in both specialties. For three years, he said, he served as chief of
He is also medical director of a spa he runs with his wife, where he performs liposuction,
Dimowo said he became a pain specialist because he finds satisfaction in spending time with patients and helping to ease their suffering.
He said it can be hard to tell whether someone genuinely needs narcotic painkillers or is simply looking for a high.
"Pain is a difficult thing to define. You can't say, 'No. You don't have pain.… You're just seeking drugs.' It's very difficult to tell anybody that," he said. But if he believes a patient is abusing drugs, he said, "they are out of my clinic. I would send them to a psychiatrist, because that's where they belong."
Five of Dimowo's patients died of prescription drug overdoses over 18 months in 2009 and 2010, coroner's records show.
They included Renee Salot, 37, who passed out on her living room floor after overdosing on painkillers and sleeping pills. Her 14-year-old son found her the next morning when she failed to wake him for school.
Chaz La Bry, 26, was an aspiring rapper who used to drive more than 50 miles from San Clemente to see Dimowo. He died of an overdose of prescription painkillers and
La Bry's father, who was also a patient of Dimowo, told authorities that Chaz had a history of abusing pills and that the doctor had overprescribed to his son, according to coroner's records.
Dimowo said he was unaware that La Bry had been misusing the drugs he prescribed. Informed of the fatal overdoses identified by The Times, he said the patients and their family members shared responsibility.
"We all need to be vigilant," he said.