A fire that broke out in a mixed commercial use building in Hollywood Tuesday, sending a huge plume of smoke over the area, was knocked down roughly two hours after causing significant damage.
The fire began in the electrical room and attic of the building, at 5488 W. Santa Monica Blvd., at 7:09 a.m., according to the
The building was not open for business at the time of the fire, and no injuries were immediately reported. The blaze was knocked down at 9:02 a.m.
At one point, fire department spokeswoman Katherine Main said the blaze was burning "so aggressively, we had to pull the firefighters away from the roof and the building."
Firefighters then went into defensive mode and shot water onto the building from above.
The building contained a restaurant and a few other storefronts.