An overnight fire ripped through a Castaic mobile home, killing a woman and sending her caregiver-husband to the hospital.
Los Angeles County firefighters were dispatched to the home in the 31000 block of Heavenly Way around 3:11 a.m., according to Los Angeles County Fire Department dispatcher Robert Diaz. The flames were extinguished about 40 minutes later.
The couple was not immediately identified by authorities. But neighbor Mathew Holman said the woman who died was bedridden and was receiving daily care from her husband, whom Holman said he knew only as “Walter.”
“He took her to doctor’s appointments and picked up her medications,’’ Holman said. “He was devoted to her care.”
Home fires spike in winter months, when nights turn chilly and heaters are turned on. But according to media reports, fire authorities believe the Castaic fire was sparked by an electronic device in the home.
Holman said his wife shook him awake when she heard screaming and saw flames. As he rushed outside, Walter came stumbling out of the mobile home, his body smoking, Holman said. The man told Holman that his wife and two cats remained inside.
Holman said he punched out windows and attempted to enter the home, but the flames were too hot. Neighbors doused the flames with garden hoses until firefighters arrived, he said.
“I tried to run inside and my pajamas were going to catch on fire,’’ Holman said. “The whole back end of the place was just engulfed in a wall of flames.”