LOCAL L.A. Now

Four charged with murder in 2009 Long Beach double homicide

Prosecutors have filed murder charges against four men in connection with a brawl five years ago that left two people fatally wounded by gunfire in an alley near a Long Beach flower shop.

Authorities said that when the officers arrived at the scene in the 2000 block of Del Amo Boulevard in the early afternoon of March 1, 2009, they found two men with gunshot wounds: Long Beach residents Austin Seng and Chamreun Kong, both of whom died.

A preliminary investigation revealed that two groups of men were engaged in a fight, and that shots were fired from one group into the next, striking Seng and Kong, according to police.

Homicide detectives said at the time that they believed the incident may have been gang-related.

Earlier this week, the Los Angeles County district attorney's office filed murder charges with gang enhancements against four men prosecutors said were involved in the fight and responsible for the deaths. 

Christopher Ellis, 25, was arrested and charged in connection with the slayings in November 2010, but detectives said they believed others were involved in the incident. An subsequent investigation led to three other arrests.

Irineo Cabrera, 27, of Bellflower, was arrested March 4. Chase Strike, 20, and Robert Ramirez, 24, both of Long Beach, were also arrested in connection with the deaths but were already in custody on previous, unrelated charges, according to the Long Beach Police Department.

All four are being held without bail, authorities said. 

ALSO:

LAPD in mourning after 3 officers killed in 2 months

Donald Sterling will fight to keep Clippers, Garcetti predicts

Red Cross assisting homeless residents displaced after shelter fire

ari.bloomekatz@latimes.com

Twitter: @aribloomekatz | Facebook

Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times
Comments
Loading