At least one of five Northern California high school students who got sick after eating pot brownies that they allegedly purchased from a 17-year-old girl on campus had to be resuscitated, police said Friday.
The student began losing consciousness Thursday during class at DeAnza High School in Richmond, so a school police officer performed CPR until medical staffers could arrive to take over, Richmond police Lt. Andre Hill said.
The student along with another classmate were taken to area hospitals after they experienced trouble breathing. They were released later the same day.
"The kids were really scared," he said.
Three other students experienced nausea, vomiting and were lightheaded, he said.
The students, ages 14 to 16, allegedly purchased marijuana-tainted brownies and cookies from a senior. The brownies were priced at $3 each or two for $5 and came wrapped and packaged, Hill said.
"She kind of had a little enterprise going there," he said of the 17-year-old.
The girl, who hasn't been identified because she is a minor, was arrested on suspicion of nine felony offenses, including possessing a narcotic substance and child endangerment.
She had apparently sold out of the baked goods because police didn't find any on her.
On Friday, she remained in custody at juvenile detention center.
Toxicology tests performed on the students would likely show what type of drug they ingested, he said.
The West Contra Costa Unified School District will "take the appropriate disciplinary steps" with expulsion an option, district spokesman Marcus Walton said.
"It's obviously something we don't like to see on campus," he said, although noting that similar incidents have occurred throughout the U.S.Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times