Streets in a Long Beach neighborhood were closed early Monday after a cold storage facility in the area began leaking ammonia, authorities said.
Firefighters received an alarm from the building in the 600 block of Anaheim Street about 3 a.m., officials said. At the scene, the first responders could smell the ammonia even before they got inside the building, said Long Beach Fire Department spokesman Matt Dobberpuhl.
Several small leaks were found, and authorities shut down Anaheim Street for blocks in both directions, officials said. The offramp from the 710 Freeway onto Anaheim Street also was closed.
Crews were still at the scene at 6 a.m., trying to stem the leaks. No injuries were reported.
The incident was the second leak at the storage facility in three months.