Containment of the Madre fire in the mountains near Azusa jumped significantly Tuesday, increasing to 30% from 5% as air tankers continued to make drops every few minutes.
"Things are going real well," said Los Angeles County Fire Department Inspector Keith Mora. "We have a really aggressive attack going on in the air right now."
Mora said the blaze has now consumed 250 acres, up from 200 earlier Tuesday, and that no homes were threatened and no one had been injured.
The Madre fire began Monday about 6 p.m. in San Gabriel Canyon north of Highway 39, according to the U.S. Forest Service.
There were 450 fire personnel battling the blaze Tuesday -- triple Monday's figure -- and Mora said an air assault was greatly helping quell the blaze in steep terrain.
Full containment is not expected til Oct. 2, according to the U.S. Forest Service.
ALSO:Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times