Man kills wife, then goes to nursing home, kills sister, police say

A man shot and killed his wife who was allegedly suffering from dementia and then walked into a North Hills convalescent home Wednesday and killed his 58-year-old sister as she lay in a vegetative state, authorities said.

After the second shooting, the man put down his gun and waited for officers to arrive, police said.

The 60-year-old man was not immediately identified, nor were the victims.

HOMICIDE REPORT: Tracking killings in L.A. County

Los Angeles Police Lt. Paul Vernon said the man walked into Country Villa Sheraton Nursing Rehabilitation Hospital in the 9600 block of Sepulveda Boulevard about 10 a.m. and "shot his sister once in the head."

The sister had been in a vegetative state for five years after suffering a heart attack, he added.

During a subsequent investigation, Vernon said detectives learned the man shot and killed his wife in Canyon Country before coming to the hospital.

"According to family, the wife was suffering from dementia," Vernon said. "The sister was pronounced dead in the hospital bed," Vernon said.

Sheriff's department officials confirmed homicide detectives are investigating the death of a woman in Canyon Country. 


Mega Millions jackpot is now at $400 million and growing

L.A. weather soon to go from frigid to warmer than normal

Man was accidentally electrocuted at Long Beach church, coroner rules

Twitter: @lacrimes| Google+


Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times
Related Content
  • North Hills shooting
    North Hills shooting

    A map shows the approximate location of where a 58-year-old woman at a convalescent home was shot dead by her brother as she lay in a vegetative state Wednesday, police said.

  • Records raise questions about parole monitoring of men charged in killings
    Records raise questions about parole monitoring of men charged in killings

    State officials knew that two transients now accused of raping and killing four women were violating the terms of their parole by associating together and supervised them as "low risk" even after they cut off their GPS trackers and fled the state, according to records reviewed by The Times.