A 54-year-old man described by Santa Monica police as a serial arsonist has been charged in connection with several fires that were set in the city, authorities said Monday.
Sihota Balbinder Singh is suspected of sparking at least 10 blazes during a 10-day span that began Dec. 30 in the central part of the city, according to the Santa Monica Police Department.
The fires, which involved Christmas trees set on fire inside dumpsters, damaged three apartment complexes and a car at an auto dealership, Sgt. Jay Moroso said in a statement.
Undercover officers began patrolling the area where the arsonist had been operating. The officers allegedly saw Singh "flicking a lighter for no apparent reason and acting suspiciously," according to Moroso. Two witnesses also allegedly "implicated the suspect in several arsons."
Police said the Los Angeles County district attorney's office has filed four felony arson counts against Singh, who was arrested Sunday.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Det. Robert D'Andrea at (310) 458-6679.
Twitter: @LAJournoCopyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times