Relatives and supporters of people shot and killed by Southern California police are planning a protest march in Anaheim on Sunday afternoon.
The march coincides with the one-year anniversary of the fatal shooting of Manuel Diaz, 25, who was unarmed and running from Anaheim police when he was fatally shot in the head last year.
A day later, Anaheim police shot another man, Joel Acevedo, after he fired on them during a chase.
The shootings set off a wave of tense standoffs between residents and police in the days that followed. Since then, the Orange County district attorney has declined to bring charges against the officers involved in either of the shootings.
Diaz's family has filed a $50-million wrongful-death lawsuit against the city and Officer Nicholas Bennallack, who shot Diaz and had been investigated and cleared in another fatal shooting earlier in 2012.
"This is not just the anniversary of the murder of Manuel Diaz," said Mike Prysner, a self-described activist from Los Angeles who is helping to organize the march. "It's also the anniversary of Anaheim being brought into the national and international spotlight as a center of police brutality."
Relatives of about 30 people who have died at the hands of Southern California police will join the march, Prysner said, which will be begin around 1:45 p.m. at Anaheim City Hall and head to the police headquarters less than a mile away.
"We understand the feelings of some people toward the police and some mistrust they may have," said Anaheim police spokesman Bob Dunn. "We’ve been assured by the organizers that they will be peaceful and lawful and so that’s what we expect."