Live Nation, Sugarland settle suit in deadly Indiana stage collapse

A $39 million settlement has been reached in class-action lawsuit stemming from 2011 Indiana stage collapse

A $39 million settlement will be paid by concert promoter Live Nation, the country duo Sugarland and 16 other defendants in a class-action lawsuit stemming from a 2011 stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair that killed seven and injured dozens, lawyers said Friday. 

A powerful storm swept through the fair grounds on Aug. 13 while Sugarland was waiting to perform before a packed crowd. Large stage equipment fell onto the crowd in the collapse, which was captured on video.

Lawyers filled an order to dismiss the suit against all but one of the defendants Friday morning, said Donald Asher, general manager of the Kenneth J. Allen law group, which represents many of the victims.

A settlement was not reached with the final defendant, ESG Security. That case is still pending and will likely go to trial in 2015, Asher said.

The settlement is in addition to $11 million previously paid by the state of Indiana. Other defendants include Dave Lucas Entertainment, Asher said.

In 2012, the Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration fined the company that built the stage, the State Fair Commission and the union that worked at the site for workplace safety violations.

According to National Weather Service reports, wind gusts at the time were as strong as 60 to 70 mph.

Follow @jpanzar for national news.



Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times