CHICAGO -- A 16-year-old boy was killed and three other people were wounded when a masked gunman walked up to them in a McDonald's parking lot and opened fire Wednesday afternoon, authorities said.
The boy was shot in the head and was dead at the scene, authorities said. He had collapsed in a driveway just south of a McDonald's on the city's North Side.
A 15-year-old girl was shot several times and an 18-year-old man was shot in the lower back, police said. Both were taken to Presence St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, Ill., and were in serious condition.
Another 18-year-old man was shot in the arm and was being treated at Weiss Memorial Hospital, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Daniel O'Brien.
The four were in the parking lot of the McDonald's when they were approached about 3:30 p.m. by the masked gunman, O'Brien said. News Affairs did not have a detailed description of the shooter.
The 18-year-old at Weiss Memorial walked into the hospital and said he had been shot at the McDonald's, Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said.
The manager of a wine shop across the street said he heard two bursts of gunfire, one apparently inside the restaurant and the second in parking lot.
“That was the last guy that got shot, and that was it," he said, asking not to be identified. “I heard the shots, but when I looked everything was all done."
The manager said he called 911 and officers arrived within five minutes.
Nearby residents said they heard about eight shots.
A woman who works nearby said she rushed to the driveway south of the restaurant and saw a teenager on the ground, bleeding from the head and not breathing.
"The others had scattered already," said the woman, who did not want to be identified out of fear for her safety.
Jose Perez said gang violence was common in the neighborhood when he moved there two decades ago. But in recent years, he has felt much safer, he said.
"Maybe like 10 years, haven't seen anything like this," said Perez, 32.
Sullivan High School is two blocks from the McDonald's, but students there said the dead teen did not attend classes there. Students said word of the shooting spread quickly on Facebook, with friends writing RIP on the victim's wall.
Students said Sullivan was placed on lockdown for at least half an hour. The staff didn't announce a reason, but "we already knew why," said a 16-year-old sophomore.
The McDonald's often attracts a young, rowdy crowd, according to neighbors, who said there had been fights there. One neighbor pointed to what he said was a bullet hole on the north side of the building from a prior shooting.
Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times