Lake Union, downtown Seattle, Northgate...and a vending machine near you? Ivar's unveiled a new digital vending machine* Sunday that will offer a variety of chowder combinations day or night.
With "Ivar's Chowder Select," patrons can eat chowder 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
“Our founder Ivar Haglund always had an eye for innovation and was fascinated by all things futuristic,” said Ivar’s Director of Marketing Kirsten Wlaschin. “With our new Ivar’s Chowder Select machines, we’re bringing his vision into the 21st century and our fans now can get chowder in more outlets on their terms."
Ivar's offered instructions on how the chowder-matic works:
1. A chowder-seeker approaches the machine and presses the anti-glare, anti-bacterial, touch screen to begin.
2. The user is then walked through a simple on-screen sequence of four key recipe choices to whip up the perfect chowder to their liking, including:
- Base – the foundation of a wholesome chowder, choose from a classic white creamy base, a savory red, or a new Cajun-style brown roux.
- Protein – pick from more than 20 hearty add-ins, including a wide range of seafood favorites such as crab, lobster, cod, clams and klams (an Ivar’s original creation of non-seafood clam substitute). Plus, each one of these options is offered as a smoked preparation.
- Flavorings – this is where the fun really begins. Choose from more than 100 flavor accents, from coconut to capers, bacon to blue cheese, and even wasabi and habanero essence for those who love a little kick.
- Nectar Boost – patrons can optionally add in a shot of clam nectar for peak performance, Omega-3 boost or even mix in an espresso shot for extra pick-me up.
3. Once the selection has been input and payment received, the machine goes to work mixing the ingredients behind the scenes in a climate controlled environment. It is then dispensed into a waiting Ivar’s bio-degradable chowder cup or bread bowl, if desired. Ivar's will offer presets for traditional options such as its world famous clam and seafood chowders.
*This machine does not exist.