Google just announced a brand new service called 'Google Buzz' that some are calling a ' Twitter Killer.'
Google Buzz will be completely integrated with Google's Gmail Service.
In the announcement, Google says Google Buzz is:
1. Auto-following. The system is populated by your Gmail contacts.
2. Fast sharing experience similar to Twitter: users can share videos, links, etc.
The difference with Twitter: Google Buzz also has a fast photo viewer, and the service plays videos in-line with messages.
3. The option to share content public or private. It wouldn't be Google if it wasn't real time. 'Google Buzz' public posts will appear real-time in Google search.
4. Google Buzz will be integrated with Gmail. Users can find the 'Google Buzz' item under the "Inbox" link in the Gmail sidebar. It's like a Twitter integrated in your email account. Any item in Google Buzz can become a conversation, and when users share items - updates show up directly in their inbox. The same goes for Google Buzz comments and other activities: they're directly updated in the Gmail inbox.
5. A general buzz system that filters noise. Twitter is known for its 'noisy' feed and has been trying to make it clean with lists and more. However, Google Buzz gives users updates from a general recommendation system, even from people you aren't following. Users then have the option to 'like' or 'dislike' those posts to recommend to other users. It seems like a Digg system integrated in Twitter.
Google Buzz: The New Twitter Killer?
Google Goes Social With New Service 'Google Buzz' Which Is Called A 'Twitter Killer'
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
Having technical problems? Check here for guidance.