AUDIO SLIDE SHOW: Tracing a family name to a hidden past
All his life, people had asked Joe Mozingo about his name. He began to look into it, and the more he learned, the more he realized a key part of his family's history had been buried. So he set out to learn the story, traveling from the tidelands of Virginia to the hollows of Kentucky and southeastern Indiana and beyond. At times, he struggled to absorb what he was finding. He learned that his early ancestry reflected not so much a quirk of American history as the messy start of it, seeding an internal conflict that continues today.
Copyright © 2013, Los Angeles Times
- Oklahoma tornado 'was a monster' 05/21/2013, 12:11 a.m.
- Kings discovering that the road to a repeat is tougher than expected 05/21/2013, 12:00 a.m.
- Angelina Jolie's courageous act will save women's lives 05/21/2013, 12:00 a.m.
- Yahoo's challenge to be building Tumblr's advertising business 05/21/2013, 12:00 a.m.
- Salt Lake City has highest rate of same-sex couples raising kids 05/21/2013, 12:00 a.m.
- United Talent Agency shoots for the stars with new screening room - L.A. Times - Business 05/21/2013, 5:00 a.m.
- Five things at stake for Apple at Senate tax hearing - Business - latimes.com 05/21/2013, 4:00 a.m.
- Oklahoma tornado 'was a monster' - L.A. Times - National News 05/21/2013, 12:11 a.m.
- Yahoo's challenge to be building Tumblr's advertising business - L.A. Times - Business 05/21/2013, 12:00 a.m.
- Supreme Court upholds FCC power in cellphone tower case - L.A. Times - Business 05/21/2013, 12:00 a.m.