AUDIO SLIDE SHOW: Tracing a family name to a hidden past
All his life, people had asked Joe Mozingo about his name. He began to look into it, and the more he learned, the more he realized a key part of his family's history had been buried. So he set out to learn the story, traveling from the tidelands of Virginia to the hollows of Kentucky and southeastern Indiana and beyond. At times, he struggled to absorb what he was finding. He learned that his early ancestry reflected not so much a quirk of American history as the messy start of it, seeding an internal conflict that continues today.
Copyright © 2013, Los Angeles Times
- Live blog: The Fed, upbeat on economy, starts its tapering 12/18/2013, 11:03 a.m.
- Car-chase suspect tries to shake police at McDonald's drive-thru 12/18/2013, 10:40 a.m.
- TV ratings: 'The Voice' finale wins Tuesday but is down from year ago 12/18/2013, 10:26 a.m.
- Stonehenge gets a renovated, modern visitor center 12/18/2013, 10:20 a.m.
- Hulu to reach $1 billion in revenue in 2013 12/18/2013, 10:07 a.m.
- Fed says stimulus taper is modest, plans to keep rates low longer - Business - latimes.com 12/18/2013, 11:48 a.m.
- Review: 'Aladdin and His Winter Wish' a fun ride at Pasadena Playhouse - Arts & Culture - latimes.com 12/18/2013, 11:39 a.m.
- Review: 'Aladdin and His Winter Wish' a fun ride at Pasadena Playhouse - L.A. Times - Entertainment News 12/18/2013, 11:39 a.m.
- No cellphone calls on Delta Air Lines, CEO says - Business - latimes.com 12/18/2013, 11:34 a.m.
- Go Christmas caroling with Google's karaoke-like mobile app - Business - latimes.com 12/18/2013, 11:30 a.m.