"We've been hit heavy, and it seems like nobody's been out here," said Jane Sowers, a 41-year-old accountant and customer of Progress Energy Florida in south Seminole County.
Officials for local government and the region's four main electric utilities could not offer definitive answers, only vague deadlines, such as within a week.
"People are rightly concerned about getting their lives returned to normal," said Orange County Chairman Rich Crotty. "Every day that passes, the frustration level will increase."
According to the power companies, 151,709 customers went back on line Monday. More than 411,000 clients remained powerless, but 50 percent of customers had been restored to power since the Friday night storm.
The estimate of people affected by Charley is much higher than the number of power customers, which represent homes and businesses. Most customers are households, which typically hold 2.5 people each.
While no one without electricity could be expected to be happy, the people of Winter Park were especially upset Monday. Several expressed fear their electric provider, Progress Energy, is ignoring them because they voted earlier this year to buy back the system from the publicly traded company.
"There's no way to prove it. . . . But it's disconcerting. You wonder," said Michael Schwartz, owner of Pannullo's Italian restaurant on Park Avenue, the main drag through Winter Park's closed-down business district.
Schwartz, whose eatery lost power as Charley whipped through the region Friday night, said he had not seen a Progress Energy truck or crew in four days.
A Progress Energy spokeswoman, Cherie Jacobs, denied Schwartz's charge, saying, "Oh, my gosh; no, we are not ignoring Winter Park."
Progress, she said, has 6,000 workers in the field, many of them trying to replace broken lines and substations in remote areas. That work, she said, sets the stage for restoring power to businesses and homes.
"If you live in an individual neighborhood, you are not going to see that," Jacobs said.
Orange County officials said they were pleased with the cleanup efforts of Progress Energy.
"As time goes by, they're going to encounter tougher and tougher cases, and it looks like Belle Isle, Conway and Winter Park are going to struggle with that," County Administrator Ajit Lalchandani said.
Progress Energy has promised to have power to everyone in Orange, Osceola, Seminole and Volusia counties by midnight Saturday.
Parts of Polk County, where five people died during Charley's onslaught, were among the most heavily damaged areas. Power will not be restored there until Aug. 24, Progress Energy officials said.
Leaders of the Orlando Utilities Commission, which serves Orlando, St. Cloud and parts of south Orange, said "the vast majority" of customers should have power by midnight Friday.
Spokesman Sheridan Becht said OUC was concentrating on such priorities as sewage plants, traffic lights and schools, in addition to neighborhoods.