Brookville senior Korren Kirven will play football for Alabama. He made the announcement Wednesday morning in the school auditorium.
Kirven, a defensive end, said he didn't make up his mind until Tuesday night.
He had also been considering Tennessee and Virginia Tech.
Kirven made the announcement by pulling a Crimson Tide hat out of a bag.
OTHER LOCAL SIGNEES:
- JACKSON JOINING VIRGINIA TECH: Northside's Dakota Jackson will play his college football at Virginia Tech. Jackson is listed at 6-foot-3 and 250 pounds. Jackson had 22 catches this past season and was ranked among the top 25 players in the state.
- FROM A PATRIOT TO A PIRATE: Patrick Henry's Ryan Revia has signed on to play football with East Carolina. The 6-foot-6, 300-pound offensive tackle won't even have to change colors when he suits up for the Pirates.
“It's a great program down there,” Revia said. “Coach Ruff and those guys are great guys, great human beings. It's been a little bit of a crazy day but I'm excited to have it done with so I can just rest and start getting more work done to prepare for the season.”
- FROM GRETNA TO CONCORD UNIVERSITY: Gretna High's Tony Miller and Coleman Osborne are signing to play with Concord University. Miller is an outside linebacker and was named Virginia Preps' Single A Player of the Year. The Hawks won the Single A title this season. Osborne is an offensive lineman.
- TWO MORE LOCAL PLAYERS SIGN WITH CONCORD: Lord Botetourt kicker Jay Phillips and Cave Spring's Sam Wright also have signed on to play at Concord University.
- FLEMING'S HAGINS ALSO HEADED TO CONCORD: Division II Concord University also picked up William Fleming tailback Jonathan Hagins Wednesday morning. Hagins was also a two time all district linebacker for the Colonels.
- DOOLEY SIGNS WITH VIRGINIA TECH: Glenvar High senior Seth Dooley will play defensive end for Virginia Tech. Dooley is listed at 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds. Dooley is just the second Highlander player ever to sign a Division I scholarship.
- CENTREVILLE DEFENSIVE END SIGNS WITH VIRGINIA TECH: The Hokies have also landed Centreville defensive lineman and linebacker Ken Ekanem.
- CHRISTIANSBURG'S MOTLEY HEADED TO VIRGINIA TECH: Christiansburg's Brenden Motley won't have to go very far to play at the next level. The Blue Demons star will play for the Hokies. Motley played quarterback at Christiansburg. Motley accounted for 25 touchdowns and also made 52 solo tackles on defense last season.
- EDMUNDS ALSO JOINING HOKIES: Dan River's Trey Edmunds is also headed to Virginia Tech. The 6-2, 200-pounder is listed as a tailback and outside linebacker.
- TOP RECRUIT SIGNS WITH HOKIES: Although Virginia Tech lost out on Korren Kirven, the Hokies did land one of the top players in the state.
Wide Receiver Joel Caleb, from Clover Hill High School, will play for the Hokies. Caleb chose Virginia Tech over Ohio State and West Virginia. Caleb played quarterback at Clover Hill, but will be a wide receiver at Virginia Tech.
“What better coach to play for than coach Frank Beamer,” Caleb said. “He has eight 10 win seasons. He's a great coach and with me going to college to play wide receiver in the class of 2012 and Tech having two seniors that just graduated and three senior receivers back this year, I just thought it was the perfect fit for me to come right in and make an impact early.”
- LIBERTY UNIVERSITY: Turner Gill announced a 16-member class Wednesday. It's his first recruiting class as the Flames new head coach. To see a list of the recruits, click here.
- VIRGINIA MILITARY INSTITUTE: Sparky Woods signed 16 players Wednesday, including Franklin County's Alexander Keys. To see a list of the other recruits, click here.
- UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA SIGNEES: The University of Virginia also had a successful day on the signing front. Two of the big recruits headed to play for Mike London are Eli Harold and Kwontie Moore -- both from the Tidewater area of Virginia.
Of the 25 athletes that signed to play for the Cavs on Wednesday, 13 are from Virginia -- something that's very important to Coach Mike London.
Below is a list of players that have signed on to play football for the Cavaliers. The information is from UVA's athletic web site. For more information, click here. The list will be updated throughout the day:
|Demeitre Brim||Watch||ATH||6-3||200||Dundee, Fla.||Victory Christian Academy|
|Jamall Brown||Watch||WR||6-0||180||Hampton, Va.||Hampton|
|Maurice Canady||Watch||ATH||6-1||180||Richmond, Va.||Varina|
|Tyrell Chavis||Watch||DT||6-4||285||Richmond, Va.||Varina|
|Anthony Cooper||Watch||ATH||6-0||185||Virginia Beach, Va.||Bayside|
|Kyle Dockins||Watch||WR||6-3||205||Virginia Beach, Va.||Landstown|
|Ryan Doull||Watch||OG||6-5||310||Kanata, Ontario||All Saints/Fork Union|
|Adrian Gamble||Watch||WR||6-1||180||Charlotte, N.C.||Independence/Fork Union|
|Mark Hall||Watch||LB||6-3||220||Virginia Beach, Va.||Green Run|
|Eli Harold||Watch||DE||6-4||215||Virginia Beach, Va.||Ocean Lakes|
|Matt Johns||Watch||QB||6-5||200||Chalfont, Pa.||Central Bucks South|
|Sean Karl||Watch||OT||6-6||295||Manorville, N.Y.||Eastport-South Manor|
|Greyson Lambert *||Watch||QB||6-5||215||Jesup, Ga.||Wayne County|
|Andre Miles-Redmond||Watch||OG||6-4||260||Glen Allen, Va.||Hermitage|
|Michael Mooney||Watch||OT||6-5||265||Malvern, Pa.||Malvern Prep|
|C.J. Moore||Watch||CB||5-10||160||Buford, Ga.||Buford|
|Kwontie Moore||Watch||LB||6-2||243||Norfolk, Va.||Norfolk Christian|
|Michael Moore||Watch||DE||6-4||260||Hyattsville, MD||DeMatha Catholic|
|Kye Morgan||Watch||RB||5-11||165||Somerset, N.J.||Franklin|
|Mario Nixon||Watch||WR||6-5||215||Norfolk, Va.||Norfolk Christian|
|Kelvin Rainey||Watch||CB||6-0||175||Houston, Texas||Stratford|
|Canaan Severin||Watch||WR||6-2||210||Marlborough, Mass.||Worcester Academy|
|Max Valles||Watch||ATH||6-5||230||Sicklerville, N.J.||St. Joseph|
|Wilfred Wahee||Watch||ATH||5-10||170||Norfolk, Va.||Norfolk Christian|
|Divante Walker||Watch||CB||5-11||175||Virginia Beach, Va.||Salem|
|Courtnye Wynn||Watch||DE||6-6||240||Norfolk, Va.||Norfolk Christian|
VIRGINIA TECH SIGNEES
Below is a list of players that have signed on to play football for the Hokies. The list will be updated throughout the day. The information is from Virginia Tech's athletic department website. For more information on each player, click here.
|Mark Irick||Wide Receiver||6' 4"||185||Calhoun County||St. Matthews, S.C.|
|Nigel Williams||Defensive Line||6' 3"||270||Benedictine||Richmond, Va.|
|Joel Caleb||Wide Receiver||6' 3"||205||Clover Hill||Midlothian, Va.|
|Deon Clarke||Linebacker||6' 3"||200||L.C. Bird||Richmond, Va.|
|Dakota Jackson||Tight End||6' 3"||250||Northside||Roanoke, Va.|
|Davion Tookes||Defensive Back||5' 11"||165||Creekside||Fairburn, Ga.|
|Ken Ekanem||Defensive End||6' 3"||240||Centreville||Centreville, Va.|
|Dahman McKinnon||Outside Linebacker||6' 1"||210||South View||Hope Mills, N.C.|
|Jack Willenbrock||Offensive Line||6' 2"||260||Downingtown East||Glenmoore, Pa.|
|Trey Edmunds||Tailback/Outside Linebacker||6' 2"||200||Dan River||Danville, Va.|
|Brenden Motley||Quarterback||6' 3"||195||Christiansburg||Christiansburg, Va.|
|Devin Vandyke||Linebacker||6' 0"||205||South County||Lorton, Va.|
|Desmond Frye||Defensive Back||6' 2"||175||Thomas Dale||Chester, Va.|
|Thomas Smith||Wide Receiver||6' 4"||200||Lafayette||Williamsburg, Va.|
|Jerome Wright||Running Back||6' 1"||220||Highland Springs||Richmond, Va.|
|Chris Mangus||Tailback||6' 0"||180||Broughton||Raleigh, N.C.|
|Donovan Riley||Defensive Back||6' 0"||190||Baltimore Poly||Reistertown, Md.|
|Seth Dooley||Defensive End||6' 5"||230||Glenvar||Salem, Va.|
|Der'Woun Greene||Wide Receiver||5' 11"||175||Woodrow Wilson||Portsmouth, Va.|
|Augie Conte||Offensive Line||6' 4"||265||Blessed Sacrament Huguenot||Richmond, Va.|
|Adam Taraschke||Offensive Line||6' 5"||270||Riverbend||Fredericksburg, Va.|
|Alston Smith||Defensive Line||6' 3"||270||Cox||Virginia Beach, Va.|
|Drew Harris||Tailback||6' 1"||220||Downingtown East||Downingtown, Pa.|
|J.C. Coleman 1||Tailback||5' 7"||170||Oscar Smith||Chesapeake, Va.|
|Donaldven Manning 1||Defensive Back||5' 9"||155||Miami Central||Miami, Fla.|
Signees listed in the order in which their LOI were received.