There are several big events going on this weekend around the WDBJ7 viewing area.
Here is a look at some of them:
- Autism Run in Forest: 9 a.m. Saturday in Forest. The 5K race will begins at the Aid Station at 1035 Avalon Drive in Forest. Proceeds from the race benefit Educational Solutions of Central Virginia, a local non-profit that provides resources to families who are caring for a loved one with autism.
- Cental Virginia Livestock Show: The Central Virginia Livestock Show is being held Saturday at the Lynchburg Livestock Market. The show includes 4-H and FFA members from Amherst, Appomattox, Bedford, Campbell, and Nelson County. According to a news release, the 4-H and FFA members have been feeding, watering, caring for, and halter-breaking their animals since January. There are over 90 exhibitors in the show.
- Chil Cookoff: The Virginia State Chili Cook Off starts at 10 a.m. Saturday in downtown Roanoke. It runs until 5 p.m. The event is being sponsored by Your Hometown News Leader, WDBJ7. All proceeds support Greenvale School's Scholarship Tuition Fund. For more information, click here.
- Houston Fest: The second-annual music festival is being held Friday and Saturday at Felts Park in Galax. The festival is being headlined by Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder. Advance tickets are $15 per day, and $25 for a two-day pass. Children 12-and-under free.
- Ferrum College: Commencement is being held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday on the lawn between Stanley Library and Garber Hall. For more information, click here.
- First Fridays: First Fridays kicks off for the year in downtown Roanoke on Friday evening. It's the 24th year of the event, which has moved to SunTrust Plaza at Franklin Road. Live music and food will be available.For more information on First Fridays, click here.
- Neighborhood Month: Friday evening from 5 to 8 p.m. in Roanoke. A Cinco de May celebration at Thrasher Park. Music, food, and family fun. For more information, call 853-2203. For more information on Houston Fest, click here.
- Radford Unviersity Graduation: 10 a.m. Saturday on the school's Moffett Lawn. Virginia Lieutenant Governor Bill Blolling is the keynote spaker. For more information about the graduation, click here.
- Roanoke College Graduation: 10 a.m. Saturday on the Turbyfill Quadrangle. Phil Conserva, co-producer of the hit TV series "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," will be the keynote speaker. For more information, click here.
- Strawberry Festival: The Strawberry Festival is being held Friday and Saturday in Roanoke's Elmwood Park. It runs from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Friday, and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. This is the event's 32nd year. There are strawberry desserts, arts and crafts, children's activities and live entertainment. For more information on the Strawberry Festival, click here.