After 60 seasons, the Dodgers moved their spring training from Vero Beach, Florida to Arizona. The stadium land was owned originally by the Espy family, who settled the area in the 1890s. The U.S. Navy appropriated the property during World War II for an airbase. The government returned the land to Indian River County in 1948 and the Dodgers bought the land at a huge markup in the 1960s.
Copyright © 2017, Los Angeles Times