For those of you who suffer from friggatriskaidekaphobia, the fear of Friday the 13th, or triskaidekaphobia, the fear of the number 13, today is the only Friday the 13th this year. What is to fear from Friday the 13th or the number 13, you may ask?
Several famous killers have 13 letters in their name including:
, Jeffery Dahmer,
, Theodore Bundy, Albert Desalvo, and Jack the Ripper.
Some unlucky events that have taken place on Friday the 13th include:
- Friday, July 13, 1951 -- Rivers in
Kansasflooded leaving five hundred thousand people homeless and twenty four people dead.
- Friday, June 13, 1975 -- an F3 tornado hit the town of Stillwater,
- Friday, March 13, 1992 -- a 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck near Erzincan, Turkey, killing around five hundred people.
- Friday, August 13, 2004 --
Hurricane Charleymade landfall near Charlotte Harbor Floridacausing around sixteen billion dollars in damage and fifteen fatalities.
Other interesting facts about the number 13 include:
- Many hotels omit the 13th floor and instead call it the 14th floor.
- Some airlines including AirFrance, Iberia, Ryanair, AirTran, Continental, Air New Zealand, and Lufthansa omit the 13th row.
- Many gallows and Hangmans knots have 13 steps and 13 coils in the rope.
To mark the day we asked several people from around the
area about their belief or disbelief in common superstitions and about Friday the 13th.
Be sure to check out the video and let us know what you believe.