The recently released celebrity cookbook, Made With Love: The Meals On Wheels Family Cookbook ($29.95), features more than 125 family-style recipes from chefs, actors, writers and other celebrities. Made With Love showcases everything from Judi Dench’s Bread and Butter Pudding to Al Roker’s New Orleans–Style Barbecued Shrimp in a campaign to raise awareness and abate senior hunger. Providing more than a million meals a day for seniors across the nation, Meals On Wheels Association of America is the oldest and largest national organization of its kind. The books are sold at Barnes & Noble and
- Mark Dayton’s Salmon Baked in Parchment
- Florence Henderson’s Chicken Piccata with Pine Nuts and Capers
- Mario Batali’s Spinach & Goat Cheese Gnocchi with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Pine Nuts & Lemon
Spinach & Goat Cheese Gnocchi with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Pine Nuts & Lemon
Kosher salt, as needed
1 lb fresh spinach, well-washed, stems removed
1 lb ricotta cheese, or Coach Farm fresh goat cheese
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 extra-large eggs
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese, plus more for sprinkling
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
3 tablespoons pine nuts
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Bring about 6 quarts of water to a boil and add about 2 tablespoons salt.
- Make the gnocchi: In a medium saucepan, steam the spinach over medium-high heat in just the water that clings to the leaves. When just wilted, drain well. Chop very fine, then wrap in a dish towel and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible.
- In a large bowl, stir the ricotta cheese until softened. Add the spinach, then the flour, eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, and pecorino, and stir to form into a firm ball. Divide into 4 balls and knead on a cutting board until firm and slightly dry. Roll each ball into 1-inch pieces and roll down a fork to create traditional gnocchi shape. Continue until all the dough has been shaped.
- Place all the gnocchi into the boiling water and stir once. Cook until all float to the top, 6 to7 minutes.
- While the gnocchi cook, combine the butter, sun-dried tomatoes, and pine nuts in a 12- to 14-inch sauté pan. Cook over medium heat until the butter is lightly browned, then add the lemon juice and zest, and remove from the heat.
- Drain the gnocchi gently, add to the pan with the sauce mixture, and return to medium heat. Toss to coat and serve immediately. Sprinkle with additional cheese at the table.