From The Aegis of Thursday, April 26, 1962:
A disturbingly large leak of propane gas had Bel Air on edge 50 years ago this week.
The news staff quoted a firefighter in the county seat saying: "Half the town was sitting on a bomb, but nobody lit the fuse!"
A tank truck parked at Dallam Place was undergoing a repair to a faulty gasket when a leak was sprung and about 100 gallons of liquefied gas was sprayed into the air. Fire and ambulance crews responded to the scene, houses were evacuated and the area was secured for about three hours to allow the gas to dissipate. Upon hitting air, the liquefied propane becomes a gas, but the gas is heavier than air so it tends to settle in low spots, which is why crews waited so long to issue the all clear.
A tank problem of a different kind in Bel Air also proved disruptive. A valve on the town's "big supply tank" malfunctioned and had to be replaced, leaving many without water service to their homes.
The news staff reported: "As a consequence, quite a few local men experienced the discomfort of a 'dry shave' early Monday morning."
An 18-year-old man from Joppa was recovering at home after having been gored by a bull while at the
Baltimore Union Stock Yards. The man, George Emmel III, had just delivered the bull to the stockyard when the animal attacked him, puncturing his left leg. He was given
Another headline proclaimed a problem that has been the bane of firefighters many a springtime when breezes dry out the leaves and grass prior to new greenery taking over: "Annual outbreak of spring fires does much damage; barns burn, fields catch fire, minor blazes in homes." Fields and woods fires kept firefighters busy, and 85 head of cattle were successfully evacuated from a barn between Forest Hill and Hickory.
The Archbishop of Baltimore, Lawrence J. Sheehan, announced this week 50 years ago that a site on Churchville Road in Bel Air was being given serious consideration as the location for a new Catholic high school for Harford County.
In the "Under 21" column by Dan Halligan, the writer expounded on a matter of some social concern to the high school crowd: "The 'great debate' is on whether or not to go steady!" The writer noted there were advantages, such as having a date should a last minute invitation to a social event come up. All in all, however, he concluded "...going steady isn't as 'neat' as you've been led to think."
Daylight Saving Time was the subject of an editorial, as the annual changing of the clocks occurred later in the spring in those days than it does now. The paper's commentary concluded: There is general acceptance of the fact that seasonal adoption of daylight saving time is here to stay, hence each individual would do well to direct his or her activities accordingly. Turn the clock forward and get an added thrill by witnessing a beautiful sunrise."
An advertisement on Page C6 also served as a reminder of the season: "Gabler's Shore Restaurant opening for the season! April 25, 1962. Steamed crabs our specialty!"
At the Army Chemical Center on what is these days known as the
And if you needed any more information about how much times have changed, a Mercury Comet was selling at Edwards Motors of Bel Air for less than $2,084.
The Bel Air Theatre, phone number Terrace 8-4710, was showing
Also showing was "Sweet Bird of Youth," starring