In case you had not heard, the Elkton Golden Elks, who were riding one of the best seasons they've seen in the last few years and were still in the mix for a
1. Edgewood: With Elkton out of the picture, the Rams grabbed their first ever Chesapeake Division boys basketball title and will square off with Patterson Mill Wednesday in the UCBAC title game. Were it not for the Elks forfeiting all of their games, the Rams would have had to beat C. Milton Wright tonight (Friday) to clinch the top spot, and I would rather have seen them do it that way. I would bet on Edgewood to win that game, but CMW, which pushed Aberdeen to the limit in a three-point loss, might have made things interesting.
2. Aberdeen: The Eagles got worked pretty good by
3. Patterson Mill: The Susquehanna Division champs defeated North Harford by 18 on Tuesday, meaning the Huskies have a perfect 3-0 record against Chesapeake Division teams, having topped CMW and Fallston earlier in the season, and all three of those victories came by double-digit margins. Edgewood, the team they will face in the UCBAC final, has gone 5-0 against those teams so far, and faces CMW in its regular-season finale tonight.
4. Joppatowne: When is an 11-2 division record not enough to keep another team from clinching the title two weeks before the season ends? When you've got Patterson Mill going undefeated in the UCBAC, that's when. The Mariners will have to play another year in the Susquehanna, but if they can string another campaign together like this year's, they won't be hanging around there very long.
5. C. Milton Wright: The Mustangs, who wrap up tonight with a home game against Edgewood, recently saw wins over Havre de Grace and Fallston book ended by losses to Aberdeen and Elkton. I'm curious to see how they come out of the gates next year, as they had a mixed season with a very young roster (three seniors, five juniors, five underclassmen).
6. North Harford: The Hawks, after a win over Havre de Grace on senior night last Friday, when members of the 1962 state title team were honored, suffered an 18-point loss to Patterson Mill on Tuesday.
7. Harford Tech: In rematch of their Jan. 24 win over Bel air, the Cobras topped the Bobcats again on Monday, this time winning by just three. They had a fine season, and should have an even better one in 2012-13.
8. Bel Air: The Bobcats missed their shot to exact revenge on Harford Tech, losing 59-56 in the aforementioned Monday matchup. Like Tech, they had a solid year, but could not top the teams above them on this list.
9. Fallston: After the Cougars lost to Elkton and Edgewood by a combined three points over a two-day span in early January, I figured they were set for a breakout, but it never did happen. Had a few things gone differently, they could have been a solid middle-of-the-pack, spoiler team.