Vice President Mike Pence’s California fundraising trip scheduled for later this week has been canceled because of hurricane recovery efforts, according to the Beverly Hills Police Department.
Pence had been scheduled to headline four high-dollar fundraisers in the state on Thursday and Friday to bolster California's vulnerable GOP members of Congress, according to invitations obtained by The Times.
The largest – a reception and dinner at the Beverly Hilton on Thursday – cost up to $100,000 to attend.
Lt. Michael Hill of the Beverly Hills Police Department said the agency had been informed by the U.S. Secret Service that Pence would no longer be attending. He said it was unclear if the remainder of the fundraiser, which features House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, would go on as scheduled or if it would be postponed altogether.
Protesters had been planning to greet Pence, with more than 300 people saying on social media they planned to attend a demonstration outside the hotel organized by liberal groups opposed to President Trump’s agenda. Another 2,000-plus people indicated they were interested in the protest.
The American Civil Liberties Union had also gotten involved, sending a letter to police and city officials questioning the police department's interaction with protest organizers and the permitting procedures.
Hill said he was aware of the letter but that the department had not yet responded to it.
The fundraisers were supposed to benefit California Victory 2018, a joint fundraising committee that benefits Pence’s and McCarthy’s political action committees, the National Republican Congressional Committee and the congressional campaign accounts of McCarthy, Darrel Issa of Vista, Dana Rohrabacher of Costa Mesa, Mimi Walters of Irvine, Ed Royce of Fullerton, Steve Knight of Palmdale, David Valadao of Hanford and Jeff Denham of Turlock.