We present Tribune Newspapers' Geography Challenge, timed to coincide with the National Geographic Society's Geography Awareness Week, Nov. 11-17. Many questions come from this year's National Geographic Bee (nationalgeographic.com/geobee), sponsored by the National Geographic Society for children in fourth through eighth grades.
Compiled by Phil Marty,
special to Tribune Newspapers
Fill in the blank
1. Name the landlocked country that borders Botswana and
2. The wreck of the Titanic was discovered in 1985, a few hundred miles off the coast of Cape Race, which is on what island?
3. The Vltava, Havel and Saale are tributaries of what river?
4. This city is the capital of Uzbekistan.
5. One of the oldest universities in the world, Al-Azhar, was founded in the 10th century and still exists in what present-day capital near the Eastern Desert?
6. Uttar Pradesh is a state in what country?
7. Though most species of lemurs live only in Madagascar, two species also live in a group of islands off its northwest coast. Name this group of islands.
8. White sand beaches stretch northeast of Port Olimpic marina in Spain's largest port city on the Balearic Sea. Name this city.
9. What is the largest city on the island of Sicily?
10. Capt. James Cook named this mountain range on
11. Manitoulin Island is the world's largest island in a freshwater lake. Name the lake that surrounds the island.
12. What city on the Amazon River is a major inland port for Peru?
13. This city on a northern arm of the Adriatic Sea is home to the Rialto Bridge.
14. What city just north of the Mekong River Delta was formerly known as
15. Maracaibo is a port city in which country?
16. The Kaaba shrine is in which city surrounded by the Sirat Mountains?
17. Name the Canadian city that lies at the mouth of the Fraser River.
18. What is
19. The most populous city on the island of Corsica was the birthplace of Napoleon Bonaparte. Name this city.
20. What church is believed by many Christians to be the site of the crucifixion of Jesus and the place where he was buried?
True or false
1. Bonn was the capital of West
2. The Pantanal is a tropical wetland that extends into parts of Uruguay.
3. The Red Sea lies between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran.
4. San Francisco is farther north than Philadelphia.
5. Mount Elbrus is the highest peak in Russia.
1. Which of these is not on the Mediterranean Sea?
2. Lake Tana is in which African country?
C. South Africa
3. Which island does not belong to Indonesia?
4. Yoho National Park (above) is in which country?
5. Which city is in Iraq?
6. Which country does not border the
7. In which European country can you hear groups of people speaking the regional languages of Basque, Breton and Flemish?
8. Lake Balaton is in which European country?
B. Czech Republic
9. The Sonoran Desert extends into which state?
B. New Mexico
10. Which island group is in the Indian Ocean?
A. Madeira Islands
B. Canary Islands
C. Galapagos Islands
Fill in the blank answers:
1. Zimbabwe 2. Newfoundland 3. Elbe 4. Tashkent 5. Cairo 6. India 7. Comoros Islands 8. Barcelona 9. Palermo 10. Southern Alps 11. Lake Huron 12. Iquitos 13. Venice 14. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 15. Venezuela 16. Mecca,
True or false answers: 1. T 2. F 3. F 4. F 5. T
Multiple choice answers: 1. D 2. B 3. B 4. C 5. B 6. A 7. B 8. A 9. A 10. D