Skip to content
Main dish: Aunt Alina's Paella
Once you do the shopping, this recipe goes together very quickly and easily. It's great for entertaining if you have a large enough pot.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large nonnreactive ovenproof pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, peppers, garlic and bay leaf; cook 5 minutes until soft. Add chicken, pork, ham and chorizo; cook over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned.
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pound chicken tenders, cut in half crosswise
- 1/4 pound pork loin top loin chop boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound boneless ham, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound Spanish chorizo links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 lobster tails, cut in half lengthwise and crosswise
- 1/2 pound clams
- 1/2 pound mussels, scrubbed clean
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped pimentos, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon leaf oregano
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 pound long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/4 cup canned green peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives
Add shrimp, lobster, clams, mussels, tomato sauce, half the pimentos, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, wine and vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 to 12 minutes until shrimp turns pink and mussels and clams begin to open.
Add rice, food coloring and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and place in oven 25 to 30 minutes until rice is tender. Garnish with peas, parsley, olives and remaining pimentos. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Per serving: 514 calories, 42 percent calories from fat, 24 grams total fat, 108 milligrams cholesterol, 5 grams saturated fat, 33 grams protein, 39 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram total fiber, 771 milligrams sodium, 2 grams total sugars.
Adapted from the Habana Cafe Cookbook (University Press of Florida) by Josefa Gonzalez-Hastings.