E-mail this image
FRIGHTFULLY FABULOUS CUPCAKE SANDWICHES
12 cupcake liners
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup warm (not hot) water
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
2 cups cake flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 12-ounce can of chocolate frosting
1 16-ounce container of whipped topping
Assorted braces-friendly candy pieces, such as chopped peanut-butter cups, chocolate bars and melt-in-your-mouth candies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners and set aside.
2. Combine cocoa powder, water, and mix until smooth. Fold in mayonnaise. (Make sure cocoa mixture is not hot to prevent breaking of mayonnaise).
3. Add vanilla and whisk until smooth.
4. In mixing bowl, combine sugar, cake flour, baking soda and salt and mix slowly until well incorporated. Add wet cocoa mixture, mix on medium-high until well blended. Scrape down the sides and blend for another 30 seconds.
5. Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full of batter. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool on rack. Slice each cupcake in half horizontally, and serve the halves with chocolate mousse or frosting, whipped topping, and assorted candy pieces. Kids can build the sandwiches by spreading one-half of a cupcake with mousse/frosting or whipped topping, sprinkling on candy pieces and placing the other half of the cupcake on top.
Serves 12. Recipe provided by Michael Chiarello for www.braces.org.