The Glendale Civic Auditorium, built in 1938 as part of the Verdugo Municipal Recreation Center, is now part of the California Register of Historical Resources, according to an announcement by the Glendale Historical Society.
The designation was approved by the State Historical Resources Commission on Feb. 2 and grants a number of protections and restrictions under the California Environmental Quality Act as well as a number of tax incentives and deductions.
"We are thrilled that the Glendale Civic Auditorium has been officially recognized as a California landmark," said Greg Grammer, president of the Glendale Historical Society, in a statement. "The designation will help ensure that the building is preserved for future generations."
In an application prepared last year by Grammer, the facility is referred to as a prominent community resource in Glendale.
"The venue was instantly popular with residents and has long been an intrinsic part of Glendale life, hosting many important civic and social events," the application states. "It is a noteworthy symbol of Glendale's growth during the Great Depression."
Construction was funded by the Works Progress Administration, a large Depression-era public works agency, and then the facility underwent major renovations in 1965 and reopened as the Glendale Civic Auditorium.
The Office of Historic Preservation was "an outgrowth of the passage of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966," according to the state Office of Historic Preservation's website, to help with efforts to identify, evaluate and protect historic and archaeological resources.
The Glendale Civic Auditorium is located at 1401 N. Verdugo Road.