Each morning, Monday through Friday, I'll hook you up with reading material to skim through as you slug down coffee and slack off at the start of your workday -- that way I'll have an excuse to do the same at the start of mine.
Running it back:
Former Orioles pitcher Mike Flanagan, a Cy Young Award winner who became a face of the franchise as a television announcer and top executive, died Wednesday afternoon. ... On a sad night in Birdland, Jeremy Guthrie, who wears Flanagan's No. 46, led the Orioles to a 6-1 win over the Twins. ... Lost in the difficult night for the Orioles is that Adam Jones left the game in the seventh inning. ... Bryant McKinnie passed his physical, and he says the Ravens will play him at left tackle. ... Maryland's early-season schedule will offer a reliable early indication of how good Mark Turgeon's men's basketball team is nationally.
Hitting the links:
1. Richard Justice: Here’s to Mike Flanagan, who was smart, funny and decent [Houston Chronicle]
2. Peter Schmuck: Flanny made his best pitch, on the field and off [Baltimore Sun]
3. Rob Neyer: Flanagan will be remembered for his toughness and humor [Baseball Nation]
4. Ken Rosenthal: Flanagan will be missed [FOX Sports]
5. Here's an old column from 1991 that Ken Rosenthal wrote for The Evening Sun [Baltimore Sun]
6. Buster Olney: Remembering the funniest man in baseball [ESPN]
7. John Eisenberg: Mike Flanagan was the soul of the Orioles [CSN Baltimore]
8: Tim Kurkjian: "No one made me laugh like Mike Flanagan. Tonight, he made me cry." [ESPN]
9. Flanagan was a product of, and a reason for, the Orioles' success [Big League Stew]
10. In his hometown, Flanagan was recalled as a great athlete [New Hampshire Union Leader]
11. Mike Flanagan was a special person and a special Oriole [MASN]
12. Flanagan’s pitching brilliance is remembered as his death is investigated [Baltimore Brew]
13. What are your thoughts on Mike Flanagan? [Orioles Insider]
16. If this is a vanilla defense, what will Chuck Pagano serve up in the regular season? [Baltimore Sun]
17. Why Bryant McKinnie feels like a short-term answer for a long-term problem [Ravens Insider]
18. Ravens-Redskins isn't the fierce rivalry it sometimes gets billed as [CSN Baltimore]
19. Kevin Cowherd: Stay home if you want to get drunk and fight at Ravens games [Baltimore Sun]
20. Hoops recruit Shaquille Cleare "fell in love with Maryland" and committed to the Terps [Recruiting Report]Video of the morning:
Send me your funny and/or interesting links, photos, YouTube videos, blogs, Tweets, comments, emails, ideas, etc. and I’ll give you a plug. You can reach me at Matt.Vensel@baltsun.com and twitter.com/mattvensel.